Thursday, October 6, 2011

10/06/11--MK's Experience in the ER


When things are hard we tend to focus on the negative instead of the positive. A week ago, I ran into a full length mirror and severely cut my toe. I had to go to the emergency room at 5:30 in the morning and get 15 stitches. When this first happened I asked God, “Have I not been through enough?” However, on that day, God showed me that I have so much to be thankful for. I have a wonderful husband who came to my rescue and took care of me. He took care of me all weekend. I have wonderful parents who, when I called to tell them I was going to the emergency room, my dad dropped everything and came to the ER to be with us. My mother brought me my favorite “chocolate covered pecans” and a pair of house shoes because I couldn’t wear regular shoes.

I also focus on the negative at work a lot of times, but yesterday when I was in an award ceremony sitting by my dad and I saw him give a thumbs up to one of his employees, who had just received an award, my first thought was “Why can’t I have a supervisor like that?” and then I realized that I might not have a supervisor like that, but I have a dad like that and that is worth so much more.
--Mary Kathryn

I would like to add that MK is all the time bumping into things around the house.  She has plenty of bruises to prove it.  When she started screaming last Friday morning, I thought nothing of it.  But when she started to cry, I sprung into action because I knew it wasn't a simple bruise.  When I turned the lights on in the bedroom, I was horrified at the amount of blood all over the carpet.  This is when all my years of Boy Scouts kicked in (I am proud to say that I am an Eagle Scout!) and I was able to handle the medical emergency very well.  I think I shocked MK at how calm but demanding I was during the ordeal.  I have to give a shamless shout out to my parents for being so heavily involved with Scouts, especially since it isn't the "cool thing" for kids to do today.  As proof on this day, it really pays off. 

I love posting pictures but I think I will refrain of posting one of MK's toe.  I don't want anyone to loose their meal.  Who knew that her little toe had enough room for 15 stitches?  On a football related note, her ER physican at RMC in Anniston was a former team doctor for Alabama during the Bear Bryant days.  All I could say about his professionalism, bedside manner, ability to stitch, and the stories he shared, is RTR.

-Bradley

No comments:

Post a Comment