Saturday, September 10, 2011

Vocabulary Lesson #1

I feel like I am well on my way to completing my first year of med school with a focus on gynecology/fertility (no disrespect to Doctors or Med Students). Here a little of what I have learned:

HSG Test--Wicked little test where dye is forced through the fallopian tubes to determine if the tubes are open, clogged, and in the correct orientation to the ovaries. No anesthesia is given.
FSH Level--Measure of the "Follicle Stimulating Hormone". The lower the number the better.
Endometriosis--The meanest, most under diagnosed disease in young women. Oh yeah, technically it is where the cells of the uterus grow on the outside of the uterus.
Follicle--A group of cells that turn into the egg while inside the ovary.
Luteinizing Hormone--A rise in this hormone is called "LH Surge" which is a trigger for ovulation.
Vaginal Ultrasound--A test that makes me glad I am a man. In layman's terms, this is when a technician inserts an instrument similar in shape to a flashlight into a woman's vagina to get a look at the ovaries, tubes, and uterus.

No comments:

Post a Comment